[ltp] Slightly off topic... but....

Chris Schumann linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 09:31:10 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, James Hawtin wrote:

> Ok so this is marginaly off topic
>
> In linux what is an athlon an i585 or i686?
>
> Because the K6 is an i585.... does i686 means MMX is available and i585
> has nothing or 3D now. Using i686 code on a K6 cause illegal instruction
> problems.....

i686 should cover Pentium Pro and up. Pentium II adds MMX, potentially
faster bus and different cache parameters. Celeron is another PII. That
doesn't answer all of your questions, but i686 does not mean MMX is
available.

Chris Schumann <whizkid@dwave.net>

"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
  - Jimmy James, News Radio