[ltp] X font server - xfs

Geert Janssen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 17:44:13 -0400

Dear Thomas,

I believe it was Bill Mair (sorry if I'm wrong) that answered your questions
for me. Use the following line in /etc/X11/XF86Config instead of all the other
fontpaths:

	FontPath    "unix/:-1"

The font server "xfs" is automatically started at boottime. It uses
/etc/X11/fs/config as it config file. Mine reads:

#
# Default font server configuration file for Red Hat Linux 6.0
#

# allow a max of 4 clients to connect to this font server
client-limit = 4

# when a font server reaches its limit, start up a new one
clone-self = off

# alternate font servers for clients to use
#alternate-servers = foo:7101,bar:7102

# where to look for fonts
# Some of these are commented out, i.e. the TrueType and Type1
# directories in /usr/share, because they aren't forced to be
# installed alongside X.
#
catalogue =
	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType,
	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled,
	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled,
	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled,
	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc,
	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,
	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo,
	/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1,
	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi,
	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi,
	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic,
	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/dm,
	/usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-2/misc,
	/usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-2/100dpi,
	/usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-2/75dpi,
	/usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-2/Type1,
	/usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-9/misc,
	/usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-9/100dpi,
	/usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-9/75dpi,
	/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1

# in 12 points, decipoints
default-point-size = 120

# 100 x 100 and 75 x 75
default-resolutions = 100,100,75,75

# how to log errors
use-syslog = on

As you can see I do use TrueType fonts. Make sure your X server supports it.
There are several ways to get some. I linked in the ones Windows 95 uses.
See Bill Mair's web page at http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm for more details.

Geert