[ltp] 770 EOL????

Michael Cameron linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 18:07:40 +0100

Tom Rockwell wrote:

> It seems to me that the demise of the 770 just means something better is
> near to market.

We've all been through the wait for the "next big thing" too often.
Is it marketing guys who think a little drought prior to its release
will help sales of the "NBG" or is it to help generate interest with
hardware vapourware?
All too often it moves customers with immediate  requirements to another
vendor who has a currently available product.
Years ago I used a Toshiba and was intensely loyal until it came time
for a replacement at which time I was told I would be best to wait a
month for the next line to come out (I can't rememebr why, more memory,
bigger screen it doesn't really matter now).  A month stretched to two
and when there was still no new laptop on the horizon I bought a Dell,
not because I wanted one but because I *needed* one.
That lost sale might made me vow never to get another Toshiba again.
How can having no product in a certain market segment for a time be
justified on the basis of marketing?  I just don't understand.

Michael Cameron

--
Synteks Computing Limited                Tel: +44 (0)1563 822370
Broompark, Clockston Road                Fax: +44 (0)1563 822611