[ltp] mp3's on 770z

Valery Trifonov linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 17:24:44 -0400

kfrechet@us.ibm.com wrote:

> After publishing the 600E HOWTO on the IBM HelpCenter site, I received a tip
> indicating that the probing done by PCMCIA causes problems with the Crystal
> chip, and that the stopping/restarting technique works so long as it is run
> after PCMCIA initialization. After my initial verification of this, it does seem
> to be correct, and that removing various I/O "include" lines from config.opts
> eliminates the problem, making the stopping/restarting technique unnecessary.
>
> I'll update the 600E HOWTO once I've checked with our hardware folks to see what
> ranges should ideally be included/excluded. As a start, eliminate the "include
> port 0x100-0x4FF".

The same effect can be achieved by setting the CORE_OPTS parameter in
/etc/sysconfig/pcmcia to "probe_io=0". However for those who prefer not to
enter the unavailable port ranges in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts, an alternative
is to just comment out the part of /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit which pre-loads the
sound modules (the `if' following "# load sound modules"); this pre-load is
done before the PCMCIA modules are loaded, hence the effect of the port scan.
Even without the pre-load the sound modules are loaded and correctly
initialized when first needed.

Valery