[ltp] 770 EOL????

Robert A. Munro linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 02:18:07 -0700

I agree with Dan, mostly. (I won't guess specs for IBM's next premium Thinkpad, but model 780 is most likely IMHO).

IBM would be crazy not to continue their high-end, desktop-replacement Thinkpad line.  But they are also very quiet prior to product announcement (learned from the 10-year DoJ antitrust suit).  IBM won't announce until it's available.

Another reason for this is that general knowledge of the next model tends to flatten sales of the current machines, and this is especially true at the high-end, where buyers want the best and are sometimes willing to wait for what's next.

Just before I got my 770X, an acquaintance tried to sell me his 770ED (that he'd gotten in barter from Ingram Micro).

Hopefully IBM will keep the next model's UltraBay, battery, etc. compatible with the 770's peripherals.  However, I'll be encouraged it they simply put a real modem in it (and if so, might even buy one).  Mwave sound is actually pretty good (it beats Sony VAIO for resilience to CPU load, and I know because I had both) but it makes an inferior modem.

Robert Munro