[ltp] Happy99 Virus warning !!!!

Bill Mair linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 18:21:49 +0200

Harald Milz wrote:

> In article <37EF4FDB.BE383CFF@mail.bm-soft.com>, Bill Mair <bill.mair@mail.bm-soft.com> wrote:
> > with the happy99.exe virus as an attachment to the list.
> > DO NOT START THIS EXECUTABLE ON YOUR MACHINE !
> > Just delete the mail and you will be alright.
>
> Keep cool folks.
>
> a) we're using Linux on our machines, right. We don't run EXE files, right.

What ? You don't append ".exe" to your program files ? ;-)

> b) go read http://www.kumite.com/myths/opinion/thoughts/1999/#990128 this
> is really an old one.

But obviously somebody must be using a windoze machine otherwise the alert would not have
been necessary. As it appears, the virus itself was not sent, just the message in the headers
saying
that the virus attachment was removed. This caused several mail daemons to send me (being the list

admin) a warning mail, my inbox had more than 130 mails this morning, most of them were related
to this virus warning. Boy am I glad that I didn't grab my mail from home via modem !

So just a word of caution and common sense:

Any executables that you may receive via email should always be treated as suspicious, be it from
this list
or even if you know the sender. Even active content, word/excel macros (for those of you using
Outlook
express) should be treated with extreme caution, and I would recommend that you disable it anyway.

BTW Some stats:
The list has now more that 350 members, and the Linux-MWave-Petition has now over 370 names !
Thanks for making this list a success, and thanks to all those that put their names to the
petition.

Bill.