[ltp] Re: Resizing partitions ...

Alan Shutko linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
16 Aug 2000 19:59:20 -0400

Allen Knutson <allenk@math.berkeley.edu> writes:

> > My employer provided me with a Thinkpad A20m, with Win98 installed.  I
> > convinced them to put Linux on it as well (Slackware), but am now trying
> > to figure out how to reduce the size of the FAT32 partition to get more
> > room for Linux stuff (/usr, /home).
>
> Is there any point?

Usually, yes.  He may not have any empty partitions on the disk.  My
A20p didn't ship with any... I doubt the A20m does.  Without resizing
the windows partition, where are you going to get _any_ space to put
Linux?

> a) disks are so huge nowadays that there's a good chance your employer will
>    give you another computer before you fill this one

Right... but you have to get some space in the first place.

> b) as I recall, it's easy to mount /dos so that Linux can read and write
>    the Windows partition

But do you want to put Linux files there, since it doesn't have file
permissions, links, isn't very stable, etc?

> c) the Windows side of my machines has filled up waaay faster than the
>    Linux side, just because I have to Install these huge programs.
>    Maybe I play more Windows games than you're going to.

Clearly, that depends on usage.  As a data point, my Windows partition
has Windows using 1.5GB and Linux, all told, using around 6GB.

86 days, 15 hours, 42 minutes, 52 seconds till we run away.
"I am AndyRooney of Borg... You ever wonder WHY resistance is futile?"