[ltp] Resizing partitions ...

John Janmaat linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 08:21:17 -0400

Fernando Fuganti wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, John Janmaat wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> hi !
>
> > My employer provided me with a Thinkpad A20m, with Win98 installed.  I
> > convinced them to put Linux on it as well (Slackware), but am now trying
> > to figure out how to reduce the size of the FAT32 partition to get more
> > room for Linux stuff (/usr, /home).  I have tried FIPS and fsresize,
> > both of which exit with some message about problems in some upper
> > sector/cluster.  Scandisk and dosfschk indicate everything is fine.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> yes, try using GNU parted, it's a replacement for FIPS and Partition
> Magic, and more, is under GPL !
>
> with it you can do a lot of operations on your partitions safely
>
> try http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/parted.html
>
> parted only runs on Linux, but a boot disk is available on bootdisk
> directory on ftp (see Downloading section on web page)

Works great, thank-you.

As to why do I want to do this?

1) The linux install was too small to include the software I wanted, so
I needed more space.

2) I may want to update the linux version at some point, and want my
/home directory to be O.K., even if I mess up the install.

3) I do some development, and want to reduce the risk of messing up the
root directory if something I run goes crazy.  Some of my develoment
includes CGI scripts that write files.  Therefore, keeping /var in a
separate partition might be a way of ensuring that a runaway script does
not choke up the root directory.

4) I cannot get rid of Windows, as my students use it (my employer is a
university).  However, I don't think that it needs 3/4 of my HD when it
receives less than 1/5 of the use.

Thanks for the help,

John.