[ltp] Trident 9397-DVD programming docs (770X)

Mo DeJong linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 12:47:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 kfrechet@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Mo DeJong wrote:
> > Would anyone else be interested in this info?
> > It would be a major pain in the butt to make
> > copes because I would need to do it by hand.
> > But if other Thinkpad hackers wanted some
> > of this vital programming info, I could take
> > some time to get it to you. It took about
> > 3 months to extract these docs from IBM!
>
> Let's please keep things in perspective. The delay was the result of trying
> to get Trident execs to give us permission to redistribute the specs. I had
> the specs for months but couldn't release them without Trident's approval.
>
> -- Keith

Keith, I was not trying to blame anyone at IBM for the delay,
I was simply saying that it took a long time. I am very
happy with the help I got from the good folks in
Mobile Software Development, it just took far too long
to even get in touch with the right people (I spent
many hours/days getting transfered to departments that
had no idea what I was asking for). When you run into
a situation where things that far too long, it is most often
a problem with the process as opposed to a problem with the
people.

If IBM had a process whereby the hardware specs for each
product IBM sold were available for download in one single
place, then people would have a much easier time writing
drivers for Linux and other OSes. Why don't you guys create
an "Open Hardware" site on the OSS server (oss.software.ibm.com).
OSS is the home of the Jikes Java compiler, along with a bunch
of other open source projects from IBM. If you ask me it seems
like the perfect place to put download-able hardware info.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc