[ltp] Thinkpad i1230

Thomas R. Dean linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 21:35:03 -0400

I have just purchased an IBM Thinkpad i1230.
(ordered thursday, arrived by courier on friday).
I have installed redhat 6.2 on the machine, and
restored the Win98 onto a 1.5G partition that I
left as hda1. My main purpose for the laptop is
to use it to display overheads when teaching 4th
year Comp Sci.

My questions have to do with X.  The screen is
a 13" 800x600 HPA screen. It is not a TFT (or at least
they do not advertise it as such).  I'm not sure what
the technology is. The screen is fine for my purposes.

For the first attempt I set it to LCD screen 800x600.
This caused problems as the chip set (SMI Lynx EM4+)
would not generate the frequency (VRefresh 60). I
manually broadened the VRefresh to 55-65, and got
X up and running. A second install (after I figured out how
to have both win95 and linux partitions) I set the screen to
IBM TFT. This gave a VRefresh range of 55-170.
I manally reduced this since I have to be able to hook
this up to an external projector and tested it with an
external Komodo 14" monitor.

My questions are:

  1. Are there any restrictions on the frequencies that
     will be accepted by the HPA screen.  Older CRT
     monitors could be damaged by out of spec
     frequencies. Do I have to worry about this with
     the HPA screen? I'm not sure to what extent the
     TFT scan rates are applicable to HPA screens.

  2. If the external monitor is hooked up when I start X,
      everything is fine. However, if i use Fn-F4 to switch
      while X is running, the external monitor (Komodo)
     goes out of range (the leds on the front blink back
     and fourth) and when the LCD comes back on, it is
     in a wierd mode which flickers, is double interflaced,
     and X locks up. Ctrl-Backspace stops X and
     everything is fine.  X can be restarted at that point
     and everything is fine again. While I don't expect to
     be switching, the behaviour was unexpected.
     Why would it change scan rates?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tom.