[ltp] Thinkpad i1230

Steve Dalton linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 17:17:52 +1000

Hi Thomas,

I also have a 1200 - the 1260, which is the same as yours but with a TFT
screen, so I probably can't help you with your problem. HPA is IBMs low cost
screen technology - not as clear as TFT and you can't get the high
resolutions that TFT gives you.

X works fine for me (although the SMI EM+ chipsets are not yet supported by
XFree86 4 - so we'll have to wait a little for that). I use the "IBM 9514- B
TFT Panel @ 1024x768" setting for my monitor - this probably won't work for
you, but you could give it a try. I know that you can't break TFT laptop
screens with odd refresh rates the way that you can break monitors, but I'm
not sure if this is true for HPA.

On another note, you are the first person I have come across who has
installed Linux on a 1200 and would be interested in swapping stories. These
are my current problems:

a) Sound card not supported by any the sound implementations. The chipset is
a CS4229 - which is pretty new....it wasn't even on the Cirus Logic webpage
when I first brought the machine. Suppose I will have to wait a bit for
this...
b) Lucent Winmodem driver doesn't work with my Kernel. Although I believe
there is a workaround at http://www.heby.de/computer/ltmodem that I haven't
had the chance to try yet.
c) I seem to have a problem with my PCMCIA controller, which is causing
problems with using my Netgear 510C Cardbus Ethernet card. The Soundcard and
the Cardbus controller are both using IRQ11 and I think this is causing the
PCMCIA controller probe to fail when the kernel module for the ethernet card
is loaded. Hopefully I should get this one sorted soon.
d) No USB support for the Teac USM Floppy disk drive yet.

Sorry I can't help more. If you want information on HPA and the spec of you
laptop - there's a whole heap of information on the ibm website.

Regards,
Steve

Steve Dalton
Sydney, Australia