[ltp] Trident 9397-DVD programming docs (770X)

Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:06:31 -0400

Matthew Emmett wrote:
> Yes, I agree.  WinModems help Micro$oft achieve a monopoly -- which is
> logically bad.  Hardware vendors (IMO), shouldn't support this.  I
> hope that IBM will avoid WinModems in the future.

Unfortunately, we can not do everything based on principle alone. The
reality is that the vast majority of our customers are not willing to pay
the premium for a hardware-only modem, and they are quite happy with the
much-less-expensive "winmodem" approach. These, of course, are generally
Windows users, who don't care that a small portion of their CPU is being
devoted to the modem implementation, nor do they care much that it possibly
adds to Microsoft's monopoly. So, unless the world revolts against
WinModems, I wouldn't expect IBM to replace them in future products unless
hardware-only modems become price-competetive.

-- Keith

Keith Frechette
Linux Development Lead, Mobile Computing Options and Software Development
IBM Research Triangle Park, North Carolina
kfrechet@us.ibm.com / 919-543-3761 / TieLine:441-3761