[ltp] Trident 9397-DVD programming docs (770X)

James Hawtin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 18:39:38 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 kfrechet@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Matthew Emmett wrote:
> > Yes, I agree.  WinModems help Micro$oft achieve a monopoly -- which is
> > logically bad.  Hardware vendors (IMO), shouldn't support this.  I
> > hope that IBM will avoid WinModems in the future.
>
> Unfortunately, we can not do everything based on principle alone. The
> reality is that the vast majority of our customers are not willing to pay
> the premium for a hardware-only modem, and they are quite happy with the
> much-less-expensive "winmodem" approach. These, of course, are generally
> Windows users, who don't care that a small portion of their CPU is being
> devoted to the modem implementation, nor do they care much that it possibly
> adds to Microsoft's monopoly. So, unless the world revolts against
> WinModems, I wouldn't expect IBM to replace them in future products unless
> hardware-only modems become price-competetive.

How about a no modem option? If I have to buy a pcmica one anyway why
should I have to buy twice? I know they are cheap and the added cost is
very little and having things setup for two lines one with one without
cost more than making them all with.... but I do not want to pay win modem
tax, It sets the wrong idea... and is it that much of a primium? I pciked
up my pcmcia modem for 30 pounds (56K one before you ask) .. ! My laptop
I payed 2600 and that was cos I bought it though a friend at IBM!

I accept the logic of your argument, though I believe its short sighted. I
would love to see the figures, even sign a nice NDA for you too, to prove
how much extra this would cost. I find it hard to accept it is so much to
be undoable, no one would notice the price difference of 30 quid....

Thinkpads charge a primium anyway, many cheaper laptops use real modems,
not win modems.. However I expect there profit margins are smaller. In
which case IBM should be leading the field IMHO...

People do not revolt many have to be lead, I know IBM has been burt
before with leading, but its seems they are only willing to follow...
We want linux on IBMs give us the hardware to do it. Actually I don't even
care if its linux I just want unix on my laptop which can use all the
hardware I own, linux is just the best fit.

They were the first to do 3 button mice built in... Other people copied,
why not chance another idea.. proper modem and ethernet too would be
nice...

James