[ltp] Trident 9397-DVD programming docs (770X)

Don Marti linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 12:54:32 -0700

begin  kfrechet@us.ibm.com quotation of Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 02:06:31PM -0400:

> So, unless the world revolts against
> WinModems, I wouldn't expect IBM to replace them in future products unless
> hardware-only modems become price-competetive.

Having an Open Source driver for the winmodem would end the Winmodem
Problem. Thinkpads have enough CPU power that the cycles needed to run
the modem are not the issue.

I'm not speaking as a free software fanatic here (although I am one) --
binary-only drivers are just plain harder to support, especially if the
kernel has been upgraded since the driver came out.

IBM is in a good position to get such a driver out there, through
support for the projects listed on linmodems.org or in-house
development.  This is good for IBM.

No reason to change the hardware.

--
Don Marti                                No haiku patents
dmarti@zgp.org                           means I've no incentive to