[ltp] Re: Trident 9397-DVD programming docs (770X)

Michael B. Haynie linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:13:46 -0400

I rather suspect that what is happening is this: Lots of (ordinary,
non-geek) people say they just want laptop with a modem for a reasonable
price. They go for the winmodem, not knowing what that means -- they
have windows, right? Then they discover that it does not really work for
them, but the thing is in the laptop already. Built in. The laptop was a
lot of money, so we can't just replace it. But there is this nifty PC
Card slot that is not being used for much, maybe a PC Card modem would
do the trick, and for $100 or so (maybe less now), they are back in
business, and never bother to complain about the trouble because (a)
they are happy now, and (b) it seems pointless to mention it, and (c)
they probably feel silly for not knowing what they bought, and are still
not really sure.

There is probably another class of user that thinks they want a modem,
but never get around to actually using it.

Then again, I could be dreaming <g>.

kfrechet@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Alan Shutko wrote:
> > With the mini-PCI slots in the newer machines, would it be possible to
> > market a hardware modem/ethernet combo card?  I haven't found one in
> > my searches, but I'd be willing to buy that separately, and pay a
> > premium.  As it is, I have these nice ports on my A20p which aren't
> > being used.
>
> If IBM saw a significant market for a hardware-based modem option for the
> ThinkPad line, then I'd imagine we'd be selling one. I suspect that we've
> just not seen a large enough demand to justify the expense of bringing such
> an option to market.
>
> -- Keith
>
> Keith Frechette
> Linux Development Lead, Mobile Computing Options and Software Development
> IBM Research Triangle Park, North Carolina
> kfrechet@us.ibm.com / 919-543-3761 / TieLine:441-3761

--Michael

depends on the unreasonable man."
                          - George Bernard Shaw