[ltp] Solaris 8

Leeman Strout linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 08:52:49 -0400 (EDT)

Solaris 8 will *sorta* run on a Thinkpad.  First off:  if you want X, you
need XiG's Accelerated X.  Secondly PCMCIA support is absolutely
abysmal.  XiG has some free pcmcia stuff, but I never got it to work on my
A20m following their instructions and having a supported PCMCIA ethernet
card.  You get no APM support.  You get no sound support.  You get no IRDA
support.

I am much happier with Linux on my laptop, and I am a Systems Engineer for
a Sun VAR.

PS: if you do try installing Solaris 8/intel on your box, remember to have
a small FAT partition at the front of the disk that you don't mind
wiping.  For some strange reason, it's required by 8, even if you're
upgrading from 7 (which didn't need it)

Leeman