[ltp] Any reason to keep Win98 on an A20p?

Ricky A. Kendall linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 17:08:34 -0500

Guy Davis wrote:

> I recently got hold of an IBM A20p.  I plan on running Red Hat Linux
> 6.2 as the primary OS.  It looks like most people doing this use
> Partition Magic to shrink down the Windows partition and then install
> Linux.  I don't want to buy PM just to use it once.  I'm thinking of
> losing the Windows partition all together.
>
> Is there anything besides the following that I will be giving up by
> not keeping the small Win98 partition?
> 1) Ability to play DVDs (don't have any, don't need any)
> 2) Hibernation (if I never use Win98, won't ever sleep in Win98)
> 3) S-Video In/Out (Linux won't do this right?)
>
> I plan on running Win2KPro from a virtual disk in VMWare, but I would
> like to boot into Linux as much as I can.  Thanks for your responses.
>
> --
> Guy Davis               http://enigma.fdns.net/
> 77A5 C242 60C8 1B57 8A87  682B 240B 490E B17C 87AF

You can avoid bying the PM and use the IBM recover cd.  Boot from a DOS
floppy (or linux floppy) with fdisk.exe (fdisk on linux). Repartition
the
drive and then recover Win98.  In the recovery there is an option to use
the exisiting partitions or to partition it as the factory does.  Using
the former choice should allow you to keep the Win98 partition if you
want to.  The VMware route is probably just as good though, okay it's
better from a usability standpoint.

Ricky