[ltp] Mandrake 7.1

James Mckenzie linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 20:38:04 -0700

> Don wrote:
>
> I just installed Mandrake 7.1 on my thinkpad 760EL.  Everything went
> well until I tried to config X.  For some reason I cannot get xconfig
> to show me the list of monitors.  It aborts after showing me three
> different monitors that do not work.  When I try VI to manually
> config, the file appears not to be working so I left it alone.
> Am I going in the right direction?  I just cannot "startx."

I had to set the monitor on my 760ED to a NEC LCD300(VGA) which
restricted the refresh rate to 60HZ.  Then set the resolution to the
maximum that your screen can support, either 1024x768 or 800x600 at 60Hz
and at color depth you feel comfortable.  Remeber, Netscape for Linux
does not work very well at 1M or higher color depth.  My system was set
for 64K (thousands of colors) color depth.
BTW, I was using OpenLinux with X 3.3.4.

James Mckenzie