[ltp] reinstalling LILO (RHL+i1460)

Shigeo Tanai linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 06 Dec 2000 12:46:10 +0900

At 03:14 00/12/06, Jos$Bq(BAntonio Milke G. wrote:
>In short, how can I restore Lilo to the MBR? Unfortunately I didn't make
>a rescue disk, though I have other Linux machines running the same RHL
>6.2.

Boot your machine with bootable [RedHat] cdrom (one you used
for installation).  At the LILO prompt, type following:

	linux root=/dev/hda1 initrd=

Adjust X in /dev/hdaX so it would point to right root partition
on your disk.  If don't remember your partition layout, try
different number.  It won't hurt, just takes time.

# I'm assuming that your root parition is on your first
# disk (/dev/hda).  If not, try /dev/hdb and so forth.

After successfully booting & login, run lilo.  Just plain
'lilo' will do.  Reboot to see if all was sucessful or not.

Geo