[ltp] X-Windows Problem - 600E (2646 4BU)

Vivek Dasmohapatra linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 01:46:51 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Shawn Morris wrote:

> > I actualy have an A20p, not a 600, but assuming they are enough alike, is
> > there a bios setting to do  w. 'suspend on lid closee' or similar?
>
> Actually I would guess it can be controlled by apmd, as under Windows 2000
> under the power management settings you could control this feature.

Unless I've misunderstood what apmd does [based on a quick reading of the
apmd(8) man page], I don't see how: the bios is configured to generate a
system suspend event when the lid is closed: apmd responds to suspend [and
other apm] events: you could, I suppose, choose to ignore all system
suspends, but then fn-F4 wouldn't suspend the machine, amongst other
things. I don't think apmd receives any extra info to indicate what caused
the suspend event, and I don't think it writes alterations to the
bios. [If you happen to know different, then I bow to your superior
knowledge, of course... ]

This is all assuming that the machine is in fact suspending on lid close:
if it's just screen blanking kicking in on lid close, there may be some
other BIOS setting, or it could be a bug [in something, I'm not sure
what].

--
Vivek