[ltp] reinstalling LILO (RHL+i1460)

Shigeo Tanai linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 08 Dec 2000 13:11:37 +0900

At 02:55 00/12/08, Jose Antonio Milke G. wrote:
>Thanks for your help Shigeo, but before trying what you suggest, do I
>have to leave "initrd=" empty?
>In my case the "/" partition is hda9...

Yes, you need to leave "initrd=" empty.  So for your case,
you would be typing the following at the boot prompt:

	linux root=/dev/hda9 initrd=

By leaving "initrd=" empty, you'll be able to avoid running
installation script (linuxrc) on the initial ramdisk (initrd).
And of course, you won't be loading any extra modules from
initrd.

#  This won't work for root partition on SCSI device.

If you encounter, "Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:09"
message during booting, that means you didn't specify the right
root partition.  Note that device name is translated into
major and minor number.  /dev/hda9 is represented as major 03 (hda),
minor 09 (9th partition).

Don't panic, even if you see this message.  You haven't broken
anything yet.  If fact, you have not mounted partition on your
disk as r/w (read/write), so no fsck results even kernel panics.
Just try another device (/dev/hda?).

Geo