[ltp] IBM A21p running Linux kernel 2.2.17

Vivek Dasmohapatra linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 14:59:38 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Alex Bihlmaier wrote:

> Now I have XFree 4.0.1 compiled and working, but my problem is now:
>
> "How do I get 1600*1200 in 32 bit?".
>
> Another Question:
> 	Is an hardware accelerated framebuffer for this graphics chip available?
> 	The default Rage 128 and the default Mach64 won't work. :-(

On the A20p, which also has an r128 chip, the XFree86 4.0.1 r128 driver
does work, but only if you do the following [*]:

Compile *generic* fb console support into the kernel.
This is important. Do *not* compile any r128 or mach fb consolw support.
Just the generic fb console.

Initialise the graphics chipset via the fb console at boot time: do this
by putting a 'vga=' line in your bios: There's some documentation about
the number you need in:

  <kerner-src>/Documentation/fb/framebuffer.txt

Example, from my lilo.conf:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17
	vga=834
	label=fbcon
	read-only

If you get the fb console coming up at boot time, you're on your way.
Once the fb console code has kicked the chipset into the right mode, you
should be able to fire up the r128 driver: Your only problem after that is
coming up with the right modeline.

There's some more information at:

      http://www.zhlive.ch/zhl_contents_linux.html
      http://www.linuxcare.com/labs/certs/pada21p-suse64-config.epl

[*] Note: It is possible that the lates CVS checkouts ov XFree86 4.0.1 no
    longer need to be bootstrapped via the fb console, at least that's
    what the linuxcare page [the second URL above] seemed to indicate
    [based on a cursory reading]

If all else fails, Alan Shutko will probably appear, as if by magic,
dispensing helpful advice... :)

Ewige Blumenkraft

--
Vivek