[ltp] Sound on TP390

Vivek Dasmohapatra linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:44:50 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Sven Becher wrote:

> Hi there,
> I just banned MS from my Thinkpad and installed S.u.S.E. Linux 7.0
> (Kernel 2.2.16) on my Thinkpad.
>
> It's an TP390, specified as follows:
> Type/Model: 2626-2GE
> Pentium 233
> 3GB HD
> 128MB RAM
> 800x600 Display
> Neomagic AV256 Chipset
> Ethernet via PCMCIA IC-Card
>
> Unfortunatly I'm not able to install sound on my notebook and all the
> hints I found on the net did not work. Does anyone has an idea? I
> tried the NM AV256 driver without any result, the only sound I got
> using the Soundblaster, but it was awful and sounded like a scratched
> tape.
> Thanks,
> Sven

I don't know whether you came across this page or not

  [http://www.spack.org/geek/thinkpad-390.html]

but it seems to indicate you need the opl3sa2 driver [which means it's
one of those bastard chipsets from hell, I know, there's one integrated
onto my desktop PC's motherboard, it took forever to configure]

If you did try that, there's one more thing you might try: I actually had
to use pnpdump and isapnp to get my opl3 stuff working - I don't know if
that's going to be necessary on the laptop, though: nobody else seems to
mention it.

It's probably also be worth your while to try the alsa drivers:

	http://www.alsa-project.org/

And there are a few TP390 sites linked from

        http://www.linux-notebook.org/laptops/by_brand/?searchbrand=IBM

[In case you didn't come across them]

--
Vivek