[ltp] BIOS upgrade IHET42WW messes up display? (fwd)

Shigeo Tanai linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:50:50 +0900

At 08:04 00/12/13, Nils Smeds wrote:
>Could anyone tell me if I am right in the hope that a later BIOS might enable
>me to use the tpctl utility better? That is, will it remove the message:
>
>tpctl: SMAPI BIOS error 0x53 ("SMAPI function is not available") -- exiting.

Could someone tell Nils whether he will get a different result or
not, using IHET42WW bios?  He has IBM Thinkpad 600E 2645-550.

Looking at your .config, frame buffer (graphic) console seems to
be your problem.  Just to test, as others have suggested, give
"vga=normal" at LILO boot prompt.
(No change in BIOS setting involved.)

If you still have readable display at the end of boot sequence,
then config (or menuconfig, xconfig) and recompile your kernel,
answering "n" to what is set to "m" as shown below.

You probably need only CONFIG_FB and CONFIG_FB_VESA, rest is
inapplicable, I think, in your case.