[ltp] RH7 / 770 and sound and RPM's

Greg Locke linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 21:31:58 -0330

Hi All,

GREAT LIST!  A wealth of knowledge for this Linux rookie.

I've just installed RH7 on my tp770.  I went cold turkey and dumped WIN
completely on this machine.  All went well but I am having a couple of
little problems and being a new Linux user I fear these questions are
triffling.

1/  Sound card was recognized no problem and I can play my audio CD's
no prombem ...BUT the system sounds and Real Audio will not play. All I
get is a "tick, tick, tick" when system sounds play.  Where do I look to
fix this?

2/ My RPM packager (database?) seems to be corrupted.  Packages installed
show up as "NOT INSTALLED" when I try to uninstall them and some rpm's
install but then "dissapear" from the system.

Can this "database" or file be rebuilt or will I have to do a re-install?

3/ I know the built in modem is a winmodem on this machine, but does anyone
know what kind?     Lucent? US Robotics?

Thanks

Greg Locke
St. John's, Newfoundland
http://www.straylight.ca/locke