[ltp] hibernation on the T21

Paul Phillips linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 06:53:17 -0800 (PST)

Now that I have Win2K looking something like the IBM version (that's the
CD install plus nine billion thinkpad.com files, and as many reboots) I
see that hibernation works under Win2K.  Unfortunately it looks like it is
taking place at the OS level when I hit Fn-F12.  On my 770Z I got a nice
system-looking screen that appeared hardware-level, and consistent with my
intuition, hibernation worked under linux.

On the T21 I get nothing from Fn-F12.  Not even a beep of
distress.  Nothing in the logs.  My kernel looks like this, which for
whatever reason (surely some web page or other) I had reason to believe
was correct when I compiled it.

CONFIG_APM=y
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y
CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y
# CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
# CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set

Anything obvious I'm missing about hibernation working under linux? Is
there any documentation on exactly what happens inside the machine when
the magic hibernation Fn-F12 combo is pressed? I couldn't find anything
and the tech support people were also unhelpful on this front.

Do I need CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS? This:

    http://www.linux-thinkpad.org/FAQ/cache/32.html

says maybe I do, but "may hang" is the described behavior, and I'm not
getting that, I'm getting "nothing", instead.

--
Paul Phillips      | If this is raisin, make toast with it.
Future Perfect     |