[ltp] hibernation on the T21

Shigeo Tanai linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 01:39:29 +0900

At 23:53 00/12/18, Paul Phillips wrote:
>On the T21 I get nothing from Fn-F12.  Not even a beep of
>distress.  Nothing in the logs.  My kernel looks like this, which for
>whatever reason (surely some web page or other) I had reason to believe
>was correct when I compiled it.

Before you press Fn+F12, try brining eth0 down with:

	ifdown eth0

# If you have more than one nic, do similar on others.

Thinkpad's BIOS refuses to suspend (sleep) or hibernate if
connected to power (not running on battery) and network
device is active.  It just bounces on suspend/hibernate
request.  Just unplugging from power may allow machine to
suspend/hibernate.

# In linux, Fn+X combination is not hooked as in Windows.
# BIOS directly receives it and might issue APM event which
# would be handled by kernel.

Another thing is if machine does respond to Fn+F12 but
do not write out to the disk, adjusting hdparm setting
maybe required.  Please see "TP 570 won't hibernate..."
thread in this mailing list's archive.

In short, multiple sector I/O needs to be enabled:

	hdparm -mX /dev/hda

where X is MaxMultSect.  You can find MaxMultSect for
your drive with 'hdparm -i /dev/hda'.

Geo