[ltp] APM suspend, PCMCIA & AC-Power

Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:45:12 -0800 (PST)

Sorry, apparently, the subject line didn't make it...

On 19-Dec-00 Vivek Dasmohapatra wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Dec 2000 Till.Straumann@tu-berlin.de wrote:
>
>> I played around with different (especially PowerManagement
>> related) bits / settings of the TI Cardbus bridge (hacking
>> around in the driver), but unfortunately, without success.
>>
>> Does anybody have a clue about this? What does the Win driver
>> different?
>
> Your apm daemon should run certain scripts whan an apm
> suspend/resume
> event occurs:

I know. The problem is only, that apm does _not_ generate
any event at all if on AC power with a running card in the
slot. The APM-BIOS itself refuses to suspend and does not
bother to send an event - that's the problem (at least on
my TP600E).

> as part of these scripts you can bring interfaces
> down, cut
> power to pcmcia cards, etc. Try looking in /etc/apmd_proxy.
> Mine unloads the sound drivers,

You shouldn't have to unload sound drivers. ALSA supports APM
and I created a patch for cs4232/OSS-free which implements APM
support. The sound driver restores its register (mixer etc.)
settings upon APM resume.

> brings down the network
> interfaces, and
> cuts power to the pcmcia cards.
>
>> Please don't waste bandwith responding to this message telling
>> me that I can eject / suspend the cards etc. I'd like a
>> clean solution where I can close the lid and walk...
>
> It is a clean solution - it just happens to live in userspace
> rather than
> kernel space. The apm deamon runs the script to bring all the
> suspend
> blocking things down, then runs the script with a 'resume'
> argument to
> bring them back up when you wake the laptop up.

Again, the problem here is that (on my TP600E) this does not
work because the apm-bios does not generate any event :-(

> Although personally I find suspend on lid close very annoying,
> so I've
> disabled it. If anyone knows hot to disable resume on lid open
> on an A20p,
> I'd like to know.... [tried tpctl - it shows resume on open as
> enabled,
> but doesn't list any options: does this mean it's not
> configurable, or
> just that tpctl doesn't allow tweaking of this on my laptop
> [yet]]

tpctl --prl=d

produces the same result on my 600E, i.e. it should disable
"resume on lid open" but, apparently, this is not changeable :-(
I haven't tried PS2.EXE because, personally, I like the lid
feature :-)

Regards, Till.