[ltp] Re: Suspending with AC & PC Cards

Tue, 26 Dec 2000 16:33:39 -0800 (PST)

On 25-Dec-00 Alan Shutko wrote:
> "Burt Silverman" <burts@us.ibm.com> writes:
>
>> Till Straumann states:
>> >As we all know, several TP models (mine is a 600E) refuse
>> >to suspend/hibernate if the machine is on AC power AND if
>> >there are powered PC-cards in the slots.
>
>> Does yours give the BEEP BOOP sounds? I have one machine that

Yeah, that's the symptom.

>> does that,
>> and one that does not. I'm not sure if that is because I
>> configured the
>> kernels differently. At this point I'm not sure if it's the
>> APMD or PCMCIA
>> making the decisions.
>
> It's neither.  It's the BIOS, because APMD is not getting a
> suspend
> event (and suspending with apm -s works fine).

Exactly, it's the BIOS. Note however, that win98 does behave
different (with the same BIOS version). Under win98, closing
the lid lets my TP600E sleep (PCMCIA network card plugged in,
on AC power supply).

That's why I started this whole discussion. I have a BIOS
that doesn't send events to the LINUX apm driver. However,
the Win98 driver seems to do _something_ different. Either
it causes the BIOS to send events or it causes it not to
check for PCMCIA cards or ???

> I just upgraded my A20p's bios, and it started doing this.
> It's very
> annoying... I don't know why this "feature" is there, but I
> want a way
> to turn it off.

One person, so far has reported to this list that his
TP600E _is_ capable of suspending on lid-close while AC-powered
with a running PCMCIA card.

Apparently, nobody has a real clue to this?

--- Till

> --
> Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - In a variety of flavors!
> I don't know why we're here, I say we all go home and free
> associate.

   "The only real number is one, the rest are mere repetition."
                                             Vladimir Nabokov.