[ltp] Re: New A20p questions - sound and external monitor

Alan Shutko linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
27 Dec 2000 10:23:53 -0500

"Bob Koss" <koss@objectmentor.com> writes:

> Are you saying that with the Xig driver on my 770Z, I can plug in an
> external monitor and *extend* my KDE desktop over both the external monitor
> and the LCD of the laptop?

No.  I'm saying with the Xig driver on the A20p (or any other machine
with a ATI Mobility M3 chipset), you can plug in an external monitor
and have two heads.  You won't be able to move windows between them,
afaik (that's Xinerama, and Xig doesn't do that) but you would be able
to run two different color depths and resolutions.

This is because the M3 has the hardware to drive two different screens
at once... not all chips do.  If the chip in your 770Z can do it under
Windows 98, Xig _might_ have support for it.

A long memory is the most subversive idea in America.