[ltp] XFree86 on TP 770X

Udo Weber linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 09:12:36 +0100

Hi folks,

I'm using on my Thinkpad 770X the Linux distro
Linux Mandrake Cooker.
Since a few days all default KDE and other window-manager apps are
require as default basis the XFree86 4.0.2

"The version of KDE which you are trying to run is demanding XFree86
4.0.2, which provides the RENDER extension. As is recall, the ThinkPads
like using the NeoMagic video chipset, which is supported by XFree86 v4
(driver manpage: http://www.xfree86.org/4.0.2/neomagic.4.html). Try your

luck: install 4.0.2 and if the video driver is unhappy, try disabling
various hardware accelerations to make it go."
- TP 770X has no "NeoMagic", it has "Trident Microsystems Cyber 9397DVD"

In the past I tryed several times to get XFree86 working but always
without acceptable success. This means some times I got it to run but
only with very bad quality and unstable.

Is there anyone out there who can give me a real working XF86Config
to get XFree86 working or at least a link to a nice web-page ?

Thanks in advance
Udo