[ltp] Re: New A20p questions - sound and external monitor

Crispin Cowan linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 10:05:35 -0800

jrogers@mjrogers.com wrote:

> The world is conspiring to keep me on a laptop display for life.  I
> could not get the 770z to push a fast enough refresh at resolutions
> higher than 1024x768, and once you go 1280, you never go back :-)
> Now, I finally have a laptop that can push a fast enough refresh
> externally, and I can only use it with Windoze.  Arrggghhh.  What a
> waste of a 21" monitor.
>
> Is anybody out there actually using the Xig driver on a laptop?  With
> an external display?  Does it do strangeness when you go from the
> external display (or both) to just the laptop display?

I haven't been following this thread closely, so perhaps its already
been discussed ...

XF86/Linux/Thinkpad 770Z locks the machine tight when you try to switch
between the internal and external screens while displaying X.  To get
around that, use the following sequence of operations:

  1. switch to an alternate console in text mode, i.e. ALT-CTRL-F2
  2. switch to the external video
  3. switch back to X, i.e. ALT-CTRL-F7

Be sure that you are running a real text mode console, and not the
high-res graphics console.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.