[ltp] PCMCIA & PPP Problems.

Jake Holmen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 07 Feb 2000 08:12:43 AZT

Greetings.

I haven't posted in a while, becaue I haven't used Linux for ages (sigh.  I
gave up in despair for a while)  But now my problem solving resolve is
hardened.

Here's my original prob:
I boot up (or insert my pcmcia modem) and I get a high beep followed by a
low beep.  then I get a message saying serial_cs failed to register on IRQ3.

OK.  So I tried to edit /etc/pcmcia/config file
(I can't remember whethere it's config or options, but it is detailed in the
pcmcia howto)
I hashed out the lines that required the IRQ3 for the serial so as to force
it to use another IRQ.

that didn't work

I tried also re-compiling my kernel (four times) to get PCMCIA and serial to
work.  I used the following sequence to recompile the kernel:

make config
(install most things in the kernel, except for PPP as a module)
make dep
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
copy new image over current
re -run lilo
re-boot.

That was fine, I didn't get the High/ Low Beep,  but when booting, the
sequence froze on "finding Module Dependencies ..."  No OK was forthcoming.
Ctrl +C interrupted this process, and it could boot normally.

But now PPP won't install as a module (insmod PPP gives dependancy errors)

I can see the modem from the setserial command (i think that's what I
used...)

Can anyone help me
a) get my module dependancy thing working on boot so PPP works
b) tell me a patch to use for PPP or serial or something

BTW - I am using a Thinkpad 760CD P90 w 2G hard drive,
and RH6.0 straight out of the box with no patches.

your help would be really appreciated.

Cheers