[ltp] TkPad600E BIOS INET26WW (99/11/19) incompatible with Linux

William van Zwanenberg linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 07 Feb 2000 10:33:20 +0100

At 11:36 AM 2/7/00 +0800, you wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>Has anyone upgraded Thinkpad 600E BIOS (or "System Software" as IBM calls it)
>to INET26WW (99/11/19), then Linux cannot recognize the drive (and hence
>looses it root filesystem) with the msgs at LILO:
>	PIIX4: not 100% native mode
>		will probe irqs later
>	hda:	no response
>	hda:	non-ide drive
>
>I am sure the problem is with the BIOS because it occured right after
>the upgrade.  And I have tried at least 2 newly partitioned drives.
>
>I tried RedHat 6.0, 6.1 & Slackware 7.0
>
>The IBM support replied me that BIOS is not downgradable and the version
>is already the latest.
>
>Would anybody kindly advise me if there is any workaround?
>
>Thanks,
>-
>Kelvin Kan.

I personally haven't bothered to upgrade the BIOS on my 600E. From the
sounds of things, I'm glad I haven't.

--------------------------
William van Zwanenberg
362c Old Ford Road
Bow
London E3 5TA

Telephone:     +44 (0)20 8980 4537
Mobile:        +44 (0)7961 130 235
Fax:           +44 (0)870 056 8583
e-mail:        will@willz.demon.co.uk or: willz@hole-in-the.net
e-mail-mobile: 07961130235@one-2-one.net
hotmail:       willz@hotmail.com
WWW:           http://black.hole-in-the.net/mates/willz/

"If we don't succeed, then we run the risk of failure." - Vice President
Dan Quayle