[ltp] TkPad600E BIOS INET26WW (99/11/19) incompatible with Linux

Wayne Scott linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 07 Feb 2000 08:36:38 -0800

From: kelvin@neuron.hongkong.sgi.com (Kelvin KAN)

> The IBM support replied me that BIOS is not downgradable and the version
> is already the latest.
>
> Would anybody kindly advise me if there is any workaround?

Two that I know of.

Use Linux kernel version 2.2.14 or better.

Add hda=C/H/S to the kernel commandline (Usually using LILO)

The new BIOS reports the CHS information from this disk is some
unusual way.  The new kernel recognizes it is bogus and ignores the
information.  Or is can provide the correct information directly using
the kernel command line.

I can't tell you the correct values for your disk.

-Wayne