[ltp] finding module dependencies stalls.

M. Leo Cooper linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 19:09:05 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Jake Holmen wrote:

> I currently have a problem when booting my laptop into linux.
>
> After it goes through setting up filesystems and stuff, it
> gives messages like:
>
> finding module dependencies
>
> And it stops there.

The cure might be as simple as running /sbin/lilo (as root), then rebooting.
Whenever you make changes to /etc/lilo.conf or to the modules, you need to
rerun /sbin/lilo. This might be the problem.

Alternately...

In /boot, there should be a symbolic link from 'module-info' to the actual
module info file there, something like "module-info -> module-info-2.2.12-20".
This lets the boot process locate the modules.

It might be that you rebuilt the kernel and neglected or messed up the
"make modules" step. If that is the case, you could try to again rebuild
the kernel, or, more simply, just reinstall a new kernel rpm to fix
the problem.

Good luck.

Mendel