[ltp] PC-Card for SmartMedia Memory

Geert Janssen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 09:36:03 -0500

Dear All,

This is just a F.Y.I. note:

I purchased a Delkin Devices PCMCIA adapter for SmartMedia Memory cards.
Both the 3.3V and 5V cards are supported (I believe up to 128MB). My TP770Z
running a 2.2.10 kernel had no problem recognizing the new gadget as if it
were an IDE ATA disk drive and uses /dev/hde1 for it.
/etc/pcmcia/ide.opts allows you to configure the device and even have it
automount (an msdos filesystem) upon detection.

My conclusion is that if you have a PCMCIA slot and a digital camera, go
for these type of adapters; I also have a FlashPath floppy adapter but that's
much slower and bothersome to use.

The Delkin Devices cards are of a good quality and very sharply priced.
The same holds for their offering of SmartMedia cards. I got them through
ProAdvantage (www.proadvantage.com).

[By the way, the adapter card works fine with Windows'95 and '98 too.]

--
Dr. Geert Janssen                Phone: 914 945 2198 / Fax: 914 945 4469
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center  P.O. Box 218, Bldg. 801, Office 33-144