[ltp] pcmcia packages and the Intel PRO/100 LAN+Modem 56 Cardbus II PCMCIA card

Jake Holmen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 01:21:33 AZT

Jason,
check out these very helpful steps given to me by eduardo.  They tell
exactly how to re-compile your kernel and pcmcia so that it all works.
Although your ethernet card may not work, your modem may.  Check out the
pcmcia howto, which shows how to set up a non-configured card after pcmcia
is installed.

Here's the steps, and good luck!

Jake.

  1. put the kernel (linux-2.2.14.tar.gz for e.g.) and the
  pcmcia-cs.x.x.xx.tar.gz in the /usr/src directory.

  2. open them: tar zxvf linux-2.2.14.tar.gz
                tar zxvf pcmcia-cs.x.x.xx.tar.gz

  3. enter in the directory linux just created and type make xconfig.
     configure your new kernel (processor, APM, network, fs, etc.) there
  is a
  help on every question. After check out all items, save.

  4. make dep (to create dependencies rules)

  5. make clean (to be certified you are not getting old compiled stuff)

  6. make bzImage ( to compile the kernel )

  7. make modules ( to create the modules )

  8. make modules_install (to install them)

  9. copy the file /usr/src/linux/System.map to the directory /boot but
  with
  another name like System.map.new

  10. copy the file /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage (this is your
  new
  kernel) to the directory /boot with another name too  (bzImage.new)

  11. remove the files /boot/System.map and /boot/vmlinuz

  12. go to /boot (cd /boot) and create link to the new files:

  ln -s  System.map.new System.map
  ln -s bzImage.new vmlinuz

  13. open the file /etc/lilo.conf and verify if it's appointing to the
  correct
  image ( the line -> image = /boot/vmlinuz )

  14. if it's ok re-run lilo ( just enter "lilo" )

  15 if there is no error messages, reboot (shutdown -r now)

  16. the system should stop in the dependencies...( you haven't compile
  the
  pcmcia yet...) just press CTRL + C.

  17. log as root again and go to /usr/src/pcmcia-cs-x.x.xx you have
  created in
  step 2

  18. type make config

  19. answer the question "How would you like to set kernel-specific
  options"
  with "2".   All the others you can use the default.

  20. make all (to compile the pcmcia) and if it's ok, make install.

  GREAT. reboot your system again. everything should be OK now.
  If you got some error messages in the steps that ask you to compile,
  verify
  the preceding step.

  read the kernel HOW-TO to more detailed and precise information.