[ltp] [Fwd: [Fwd: A linux driver for IBM TrackPoint devices (GPL)]]

Harald Milz linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 22:08:35 +0100 (CET)

Bill Mair <bill.mair@bm-soft.com> wrote:
> And for what it's worth, after a petition from over 800 individuals, IBM decided to
> port their complete "VisualAge for Java" to Linux. They realized that there was a real
> market for this product.

Errr - this was part of the global IBM SWG strategy to release all products
for Linux. IBM PSG is a different story.

> IBM seems to think that there is a potential for Linux on the server market, but they
> are also now seeming to wake up to the idea that Linux is also a desktop system.

Yep - as you say a large customer's word and it's going to be done if (!)
IBM Legal hasn't got other plans with MWave.

> No other response. Nothing. Nil. Zip. Zilch.

QED... :-(

> I would ask all of you that have signed the petition to do the same, fill out the above
> form, and ask for MWave support.
> If IBM gets tons of requests this way, then they may wake up and smell the roses.

Ummm - I'd say if you can show where the money _actually_ lies IBM will
move. Give them a large business opportunity and off it goes. 600 or 800
Thinkpads (all of which have been sold already, and there are no new models
with MWave!) will hardly move this tanker except maybe if the customer is
Deutsche Bank or SAP.

> Sorry for ranting on, but getting IBM to move on this, is something I really feel
> strongly about.

The bad news is that MWave is dead from a development standpoint. It will
be very hard to convince somebody that there is actually an opportunity on
new placements. IBM Sales isn't incented on old iron.

Keith, any info on what sound/modem hardware will be in the 775? The thingy
will be presented @ CeBIT anyway so ... :-)

--
Gosh that takes me back... or is it forward?  That's the trouble with
time travel, you never can tell."