[ltp] ibm pcmcia modem

Victor Rivarola linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 07:21:23 -0600 (CST)

It is unlikely that your modem is on /dev/ttyS0, as I
have seen you being pointed to repeatedly.  The way
serial ports are assigned in Linux is:

COM1:      /dev/ttyS0
COM2:      /dev/ttyS1
COM3:      /dev/ttyS2
COM4:      /dev/ttyS3

As you see, I find it hard to beleive that your modem
would be on ttyS0, because what that corresponds to in
COM1 and it would requiere your notebook to have no
built in serial connector (for the external mouse).
Every thinkpad I have ever seen had one of those (I
used to work for a dealer, so I have seen plenty.  It
is true that they wheren't running Linux, but that
doesn´t matter in this case, only the precesnce of a
serial connector does).

The reason that I haven`t replied to you before is
that I don't know much about running Linux on
Thinkpads (or notebooks in general), but this
particular problem has nothing to do with the fact
that you are using a Thinkpad, it is a general Linux
question, and I can answer that.

Hope this helps,

Víctor Rafael Rivarola Soerensen

--- Chris Black <cblack@befree.com> escribió:
> Your modem is most likely ttys0. And you'll also
> probably need to do an ifconfig
> eth0 down (as root) to shut down the ethernet part
> of the card, so the modem can
> function.
>
> --Chris
>
> vikram gulati wrote:

{zip}
> > whether my modem is on /dev/ttys0 or /dev/ttys1
> etc... what do i answer for
> > that??  Please help.
{zip}