[ltp] 750P X, sound (pen) help request

Chris Schumann linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 14:43:41 -0600 (CST)

I've got Red Hat 6.1 running on my 750P. Barely.

I'd really like to get X and sound working, and I need some help.
(Networking runs great, thanks.) Before you go running scared, please know
that I am a software developer by trade, and have written a pretty large
hunk of code for HP-UX that runs at start time, so I'm somewhat familiar
with how devices are started in Unix and Linux. I am comfortable writing
assembly language and embedded code, including interfacing with devices. I
just have not yet written or examined a Linux device driver.

I've tried lots of reading of web sites (LDP, Linux Laptops, Linux
ThinkPads, etc), and no one seems to have got X running correctly. At
least, I cannot find a definitive resource for this. I have also tried my
local linux user group to no avail.

The best I've managed is 320x240. Yay. The video chip is a WD90C24, used
in plenty other laptops. The display is a 640x480 9.5" gray scale LCD.

I would be truly appreciative if someone would take me on and try to help
me get 640x480 at 256 colors, or even 640x480x16.

I've also had no luck at all with the sound chip. I can look up the part
number again, because I did actually disassemble the machine. I printed
out the data sheet, and I know the chip is designed to be compatible with
the AD1848.

In a perfect world, we would also get the pen working as a pointing
device. That should be pretty easy, since it appears as a serial port, and
I expect it works pretty much like a tablet. Others have gotten a pen on a
360P to work. I won't even dare to hope for a handwriting recognizer.

If you are interested either in helping me, or in finding out what I
learn, please e-mail me directly to avoid more list traffic. I'll probably
make a "Linux on a ThinkPad 750P" web page and have it linked to the big
lists out there if I get any useful information.

Many thanks,

Chris Schumann <whizkid@dwave.net>

"Wait a minute, Joe. If what you're saying is true,
then I still don't care." - Dave Nelson, News Radio