[ltp] explore Linux

Chuen Ka To linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 09:09:28 PST

Hi linux expert,
   I want to explore the linux but some troublesome problems bothering me.
Could you mind taking a look on my probems or give me a reference web site
link?

First I am using a Red Hat 5.2 with kernel 2.0 with disk boot method of
linus on my windows 98 in my IBM ThinkPad 600.(Don’t ask me why don’t
upgrade to red hat 6.1, because I want to practise some basic skill first
and the upgrade price is also a reason! )

Now I download a linux-2.3.25.tar.gz and place on my windows directory like
c:\ .I have mount the windows in my linux /mnt/win every boot up, any method
to set linux connecting to windows automatically ?

Okay, I TYPE “tar zxpvf linux-2.3.25.tar.gz”(however I don’t know the zxpvf
meaning.) after I “ cp the linux-2.3.25.tar.gz ” from c:\ to /usr/src/ .Is
it right or where should I place the linux-2.3.25.tar.gz to de-compress?

Then I type the command as below.
1. make mrproper
2. make config (I don’t know why I can’t use command “ make xconfig ” )
3. make den
4. make zImage ? make zdisk ? make zlilo ? make bzImage ?( Which one is
suitable for me if I use disk to boot linux ?)( I tried make zdisk, but fail
to see result on my /dev/fd0 )
5. make modules
6. make modules_install
7. “cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/?Image” to where ?
8. shutdown –r now.

After I tried the above method, it works once. Then later  I can’t use disk
to boot my origional windows .
Because if no disks on startup, just a word LI appear on screen and it
freeze .If I insert a linux boot disk.
It doesn’t let me choose dos boot with TAB .only linux and rescue .But I
asure I have tried boot on first partition sector and disk method, but fails
too. Now I can’t go back to windows 98 even I have a windows 98 boot disk,
what should I do ?

Next question is after I success upgrade to newer kernel, I still can’t use
my PCMCIA TDK Grobal Freedom 5660 modem .When I use minicom, it disappear at
once after I open it.
How can I check my PCMCIA works ?
Also if I type xconfig , even I choose the right monitor and vedio type with
1024*768 and 64K ,no virtual screen. The x-windows still give me a
low-resolution with virtual screen. But if I config in the installation of
red hat again ,it proble and works with no problems. Where can I check the
most fit module config for my Notebook type ?

Anyway, thanks for your putting time on read my message and reply to me
directly. I am excited and attracted by the attituide of experience exchange
of the linux users even I search hardly for the helpful document on the
internet.
Thanks again. I hope someday I can post my past experience back for users
which need help later.