[ltp] explore Linux

Joshua Jore linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 14:21:41 -0600

--0__=c9ZWDjJEkNohfxXOZ2h3X9zShWQ316ByYPiHt9IrmbDuZwafXVvdyfx4

Several things:

edit /etc/fstab so that the line
          /dev/????     /mnt/win     something .....
reads more like
          /dev/????     /mnt/win     something     auto .....

Yes, cp /mnt/win/linux-2.3.25.tar.gz /usr/src

2.2.14 is the highest version production kernel released to date. Anything 2.3.x
(or any other odd number) is a development release. Since you sound like you're
new to Linux I'd recommend you not use a development kernel unless you really
have a good reason to. Actually... if you're so new you may want to just forgo
mucking around with kernel compilation.

You'll probably want to remove your current kernel source (if you have one)
before untarring the new one. Thats
          rm -r /usr/src/linux

If you're doing this from a command line do
make clean
make menuconfig
make dep
make modules
rm -r /lib/modules/*
make modules_install
make zImage         ' Note that it's case sensitive
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage /boot/vmlinuz
cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /boot/System.map

If you're using lilo as a boot loader you'll need to configure lilo so it knows
about your new kernel image. Don't overwrite your old kernel image, if something
goes wrong you want to be able to boot using the old kernel. If you're using
loadlin you'll need to change the comand like to take into account the different
kernel file name. If you don't do this things like the LI message at boot up
happen.

BEFORE you upgrade your kernel make sure to download the latest pcmcia card
services. I don't recall what it takes to compile the card services, you'll have
to read the docs that come with it. This is not an optional step, card services
need to be compiled for your specific kernel.

I don't recall what it takes to see if the card services are working, just use
the same scripts that were initially installed.

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          "Chuen Ka To"|
|        |          <jimmyto@hotm|
|        |          ail.com>     |
|        |                       |
|        |          02/17/00     |
|        |          11:09 AM     |
|        |          Please       |
|        |          respond to   |
|        |          linux-thinkpa|
|        |          d            |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     mabryant@comp.uark.edu,                  |
  |       t8710054@aries.dyu.edu.tw,                       |
  |       linux-thinkpad@bm-soft.com                       |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Joshua Jore/CSTDI/Imation)         |
  |       Subject:     [ltp] explore Linux                 |
  >--------------------------------------------------------|

--0__=c9ZWDjJEkNohfxXOZ2h3X9zShWQ316ByYPiHt9IrmbDuZwafXVvdyfx4

Hi linux expert,
   I want to explore the linux but some troublesome problems bothering me.
Could you mind taking a look on my probems or give me a reference web site
link?

First I am using a Red Hat 5.2 with kernel 2.0 with disk boot method of
linus on my windows 98 in my IBM ThinkPad 600.(Don稚 ask me why don稚
upgrade to red hat 6.1, because I want to practise some basic skill first
and the upgrade price is also a reason! )

Now I download a linux-2.3.25.tar.gz and place on my windows directory like
c:\ .I have mount the windows in my linux /mnt/win every boot up, any method
to set linux connecting to windows automatically ?

Okay, I TYPE 鍍ar zxpvf linux-2.3.25.tar.gz?however I don稚 know the zxpvf
meaning.) after I ?cp the linux-2.3.25.tar.gz ?from c:\ to /usr/src/ .Is
it right or where should I place the linux-2.3.25.tar.gz to de-compress?

Then I type the command as below.
1. make mrproper
2. make config (I don稚 know why I can稚 use command ?make xconfig ?)
3. make den
4. make zImage ? make zdisk ? make zlilo ? make bzImage ?( Which one is
suitable for me if I use disk to boot linux ?)( I tried make zdisk, but fail
to see result on my /dev/fd0 )
5. make modules
6. make modules_install
7. 田p /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/?Image?to where ?
8. shutdown 睦 now.

After I tried the above method, it works once. Then later  I can稚 use disk
to boot my origional windows .
Because if no disks on startup, just a word LI appear on screen and it
freeze .If I insert a linux boot disk.
It doesn稚 let me choose dos boot with TAB .only linux and rescue .But I
asure I have tried boot on first partition sector and disk method, but fails
too. Now I can稚 go back to windows 98 even I have a windows 98 boot disk,
what should I do ?

Next question is after I success upgrade to newer kernel, I still can稚 use
my PCMCIA TDK Grobal Freedom 5660 modem .When I use minicom, it disappear at
once after I open it.
How can I check my PCMCIA works ?
Also if I type xconfig , even I choose the right monitor and vedio type with
1024*768 and 64K ,no virtual screen. The x-windows still give me a
low-resolution with virtual screen. But if I config in the installation of
red hat again ,it proble and works with no problems. Where can I check the
most fit module config for my Notebook type ?

Anyway, thanks for your putting time on read my message and reply to me
directly. I am excited and attracted by the attituide of experience exchange
of the linux users even I search hardly for the helpful document on the
internet.
Thanks again. I hope someday I can post my past experience back for users
which need help later.

--0__=c9ZWDjJEkNohfxXOZ2h3X9zShWQ316ByYPiHt9IrmbDuZwafXVvdyfx4--