[ltp] X11 is slugish

Harry Mangalam linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 19:24:42 -0800

This is a reported 'feature' with laptops, especially with thinkpads (see
the apmd discussion list).  I hadn't heard that it had such a good
correlation with anything before tho.  Interesting.  I'll try this asap and
post my results here.  I suapect that it does have something to do with the
apm settings/handling tho.. - Battery Power at startup -> reduced clock
speed to conserve power.  Theoretically, it should switch back and forth,
but it may be that the clock can't be throttled once it's booted up.

I have noticed related wocko-ness tho - if I shut the case with power
connected, the Xserver goes berserk (looks like a solar flare melted the
screen), but it works fine if I disconnect the power before closing the
lid.  I've seen this reported elsewhere (here?), but no real patches as far
as I've been able to tell.

First time it happened, I was completely bummed out, but a reboot took care
of it; unlike some postings to the apmd list, it once set to a clock speed,
it doesn;t seem to change after a 'sleep' and since I only reboot about
once every coupla months, it's not a big deal anymore...

Best
harry

"Abed M. Hammoud" wrote:

> Thanks again, bill
>
> One more question,
>
> I noticed that when I start the laptop with the battery on and
> no line power, if I do
>
> cat /proc/cpuinfo
>
> I get that the CPU speed is 75MHZ, then if I connect the power
> again the speed of the CPU doesn't change.
>
> But if I boot the machine with the line power connected,
> the cat /proc/cpuinfo tells me that the cpu is running at
> 300MHZ which is what it should be....is that the
> expected behaivor....
>
> Thanks again,
>
> - Abed
>
> --
> Abed M. Hammoud, D.Sc.                  abed@anatomic.com
> Medtronic,                              Office: (303) 439-9709 x210
> Surgical Navigation Technologies        http://www.anatomic.com/abed
> Colorado, USA

Cheers,
Harry