[ltp] X11 is slugish

Bill Mair linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 10:27:32 +0100

Harry Mangalam wrote:

> This is a reported 'feature' with laptops, especially with thinkpads (see
> the apmd discussion list).  I hadn't heard that it had such a good
> correlation with anything before tho.  Interesting.  I'll try this asap and
> post my results here.  I suapect that it does have something to do with the
> apm settings/handling tho.. - Battery Power at startup -> reduced clock
> speed to conserve power.  Theoretically, it should switch back and forth,
> but it may be that the clock can't be throttled once it's booted up.

The reported "BogoMIPS" are calculated at start up. If your connected to the
power
supply then the CPU is running at full speed, and if not then the value
calculated is
dependant on your power consumption settings. If you boot on abttery and get
75MHz
and then connect the system to the power supply then AFAIK you will still get
75Mhz
displayed. There is a BogoMIPS readme which you should read for more details.

> I have noticed related wocko-ness tho - if I shut the case with power
> connected, the Xserver goes berserk (looks like a solar flare melted the
> screen), but it works fine if I disconnect the power before closing the
> lid.  I've seen this reported elsewhere (here?), but no real patches as far
> as I've been able to tell.

This behaviour is dependant on your system's settings.
If you configure your TP to suspend when the lid closes then you won't see the

"burn screen", but if it is configured to keep on running then you should
either
exit X or "CTRL-ALT-F1" to a virtual session before closing the lid. After
reopening
the lid you can then CTRL-ALT-F7 to get back to the XServer session.

I believe that the problem is the line sync on the LCD, because the LCD is
"just"
turned off when the id is closed, and X doesn't know this, and therefore
doesn't know
that it should re-initialise the display drivers. Thomas Hood's tpctl can show
the lid
switch status, maybe some kind of daemon could watch this switch and then if
the
lid is closed/opened, reinitialise the XServer.

Bill.