[ltp] X11 is slugish

Michael Selway linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 10:43:00 GMT

>   This behaviour is dependant on your system's settings.
>   If you configure your TP to suspend when the lid closes then you won't see the
>
>   "burn screen", but if it is configured to keep on running then you should
>   either
>   exit X or "CTRL-ALT-F1" to a virtual session before closing the lid. After
>   reopening
>   the lid you can then CTRL-ALT-F7 to get back to the XServer session.

Incidentally, in my early tp600e days, I had real problems getting
the display back through lid closing/opening and suspend/resume.
One of the bits of the solution, which I've not seen mentioned
elsewhere, was use of Fn+F8: this toggles between stretched and
unstretched use of the LCD when in video modes which don't match
the precise LCD pixel size.  Try it in a text mode and you'll see
what I mean.  I found that out-of-the-box, the X display wouldn't
come back properly after a suspend/resume, unless I'd used Fn+F8
previously.

Fn+F8 is almost undocumented: I found it by running "strings" on
PS2.EXE.

Michael.