[ltp] X11 is slugish

Harry Mangalam linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:11:41 -0800

Rob Mayoff wrote:

> | Theoretically, it should switch back and forth,
> | but it may be that the clock can't be throttled once it's booted up.
>
> On my 770Z, I can change the process speed by pressing Fn-F11.

HEY!  I can too!  I had tried this before, thinking that /proc/cpuinfo
would give me the correct info, but it apparently does not (hence my
assumption that once set at boot, it's set).  However, how do you tell what
speed it's running at (without running a series of benchmarks to decide?)
It's certainly possible to write a little script to do this, but it MUST be
noted somewhere in the system...

> | I have noticed related wocko-ness tho - if I shut the case with power
> | connected, the Xserver goes berserk (looks like a solar flare melted the
> | screen), but it works fine if I disconnect the power before closing the
> | lid.  I've seen this reported elsewhere (here?), but no real patches as far
> | as I've been able to tell.
>
> I solved this problem on my 770Z by enabling the frame buffer console
> support in the kernel.  I still use XF86_SVGA as my X server, but the
> screen never goes 'modern-art' when I close the lid.

I'll check this out.  Which kernel?

Cheers,
Harry

Harry J Mangalam -- (949) 856 2847 -- mangalam@home.com