[ltp] X11 is slugish

Harry Mangalam linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:31:02 -0800

Bill Mair wrote:

> Harry Mangalam wrote:
>
> > This is a reported 'feature' with laptops, especially with thinkpads (see
> > the apmd discussion list).  I hadn't heard that it had such a good
> > correlation with anything before tho.  Interesting.  I'll try this asap and
> > post my results here.  I suapect that it does have something to do with the
> > apm settings/handling tho.. - Battery Power at startup -> reduced clock
> > speed to conserve power.  Theoretically, it should switch back and forth,
> > but it may be that the clock can't be throttled once it's booted up.
>
> The reported "BogoMIPS" are calculated at start up. If your connected to the
> power
> supply then the CPU is running at full speed, and if not then the value
> calculated is
> dependant on your power consumption settings. If you boot on abttery and get
> 75MHz
> and then connect the system to the power supply then AFAIK you will still get
> 75Mhz
> displayed. There is a BogoMIPS readme which you should read for more details.

Hmm - don't know about the booting state - I seem to remember that it
didn't boot like this when I was trying to debug it (but it may have been
in the wrong power-saving state).  At any rate, by benchmark, it is now
running the way I always wanted it - at full speed when plugged in, and
about 1/3 speed when unplugged.  /proc/cpuinifo doesn;t change - I have to
run the benchmark to tell.  this makes a significant difference in power
consumption of course.

> > I have noticed related wocko-ness tho - if I shut the case with power
> > connected, the Xserver goes berserk (looks like a solar flare melted the
> > screen), but it works fine if I disconnect the power before closing the
> > lid.  I've seen this reported elsewhere (here?), but no real patches as far
> > as I've been able to tell.
>
> This behaviour is dependant on your system's settings.
> If you configure your TP to suspend when the lid closes then you won't see the
>
> "burn screen", but if it is configured to keep on running then you should
> either
> exit X or "CTRL-ALT-F1" to a virtual session before closing the lid. After
> reopening
> the lid you can then CTRL-ALT-F7 to get back to the XServer session.

what you mentioned here DOES work (Thanks again!!), but it would be nice to
have it work the way I want, so it may take the previously mentioned kernel
re-config(?).

What setting are you referring to above ("configure your TP to suspend")?
Thinkpad setup util?  Kernel option selection? Function key selection?

I believe I do have mine config'ed to suspend (and it works perfectly if I
unplug it before I close the lid), but 'burns' if I don't.  However, this
may well be a function of the power setting.  Hmm - just tried it (power
on, but in NEW, IMPROVED power-saving state, and it still burned on lid
open.

> I believe that the problem is the line sync on the LCD, because the LCD is
> "just"
> turned off when the id is closed, and X doesn't know this, and therefore
> doesn't know
> that it should re-initialise the display drivers. Thomas Hood's tpctl can show
> the lid
> switch status, maybe some kind of daemon could watch this switch and then if
> the
> lid is closed/opened, reinitialise the XServer.
>
> Bill.

Cheers,
Harry

Harry J Mangalam -- (949) 856 2847 -- mangalam@home.com