[ltp] 770X: can rez change fr 1280x1024 -> 1024x768 (XGA)?

Harry Mangalam linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 15:42:09 -0800

Hi All,

I have the 770x mentioned and am delighted with the display, but when
giving presentations, I have found that while some LCD projectors can
handle the full display, others cannot, either blanking completely or just
showing the upper left (XGA) part of the screen.

I know that it can do XGA under NT (and I could revert to NT for
presentations, but I'd much rather not).

Are there any Xservers that can allow the display to adjust to either rez?
Or is there another way to do this?  Such as having 1280x1024 on the laptop
screen but having it show the lower rez on the external video?

I just checked the source for all good things Thinkpad X-related:
http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm/tp_xfree.html

and saw that Bill had posted:

" Wanted: Setup for 24 or 32 bpp at 1024x768 with 770X (1280x1024 display).
I can only get the 8 and 16 bpp to work so if you have this working please
let me know."

This implies that this is possible, but only at 8/16bpp? (which would be
fine for me...)
To anyone who has accomplished this: How does it look?  As good as the
native display, or is there noticeable pixelation in fonts and images?

--
Cheers,
Harry

Harry J Mangalam -- (949) 856 2847 -- mangalam@home.com