[ltp] Linux on an i1460

George Staikos linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 23:28:16 -0500

On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, Robert Withers wrote:

> I tried to find a newer OSS but it looks as if 1) they are going
> commercial and 2) ALSA is the way to go.  Unfortunately, I need OSS for
> an app that I work with daily.  mmmm.

   ALSA emulates OSS.

> >   ATI just announced DVD support for their chipsets for Linux so I'm assuming
> > this will go for the Rage Mobility as well.
>
> Great.  I do not want the DVD controls on the front working, or I want
> to control when they work.  Under Doze, I kept hitting them when typing
> and that sux.

   They won't work with that driver.  I am still waiting *COUGH* from IBM for
this (and they said they would get back to me.  Once they send the specs I'll
write a driver or any patches necessary.

> >   Also the SUSE X server is still not working *properly* with your i series.
> >  The only one that will work properly is the one that has the patch on my
> > website applied :)  The rest clobber the clocks (after incorrectly detecting
> > them), amongst other things.  It's amazing how much I learned after seeing
> > the fix :)
>
> I used the svga server and didn't change my fbcons (SuSE may have done
> it).  I just configed and here I am.  Very stable, so it seems.  What is
> the issue with 'clobbering my clocks'?  Is it dangerous to my machine?

   The X server doesn't know how to properly deal with the ATI hardware in
the i series and it overwrites things that it shouldn't.  It's only dangerous
running the Mach server, if at all.

>  > > > PS  I have a 1480
> >
> >   Only difference is a bigger disk and a slightly faster cpu
>
> 2GB more disk.  The processor is only 5% faster or something.  All in
> all the series is a nice machine.  I only wish I could get the LCD to
> run at 1280x1024

  It will not.  It can't support it.

- --

George Staikos